-- Vacancy - Equidem India Director
Thursday, 12 April 2018
VACANCY – EQUIDEM INDIA DIRECTOR
Equidem Research and Consulting is a specialist human rights and labour rights consultancy dedicated to defending the human rights of vulnerable individuals and communities including migrant workers, women, children and minorities in the context of labour migration and humanitarian and post-conflict settings.
Equidem is committed to concrete, practical and sustainable approaches for businesses, governments, international non-government organisations and civil society. We take a “bottom up” approach that first seeks to establish the situation for the most vulnerable individuals and communities and identify gaps in the protection frameworks.
We are looking for a dynamic, innovative professional with the passion, proven experience and skills to provide full-time management and research support to Equidem’s ambitious labour and human rights research programmes in South Asia and the Arab Gulf.
- Carry out investigations into human rights and labour rights issues in South Asia and the Arab Gulf regions, including with respect to the hiring, instruction, supervision and coordination of field investigators in South Asia and the Arab Gulf.
- Draft and review reports, briefing papers, letters, news releases, op-eds, and submissions to governments, businesses and international bodies; help collect supporting documents and materials such as photographs and videos;
- Represent Equidem at the highest levels, including with government, businesses and inter-governmental officials as well as civil society groups.
- Ensure the effective application of Equidem’s standards of research and work practices in areas of responsibility, including Equidem’s research policies, quality assurance frameworks, outputs and publications.
- Line manage multiple staff undertaking research assignments in several different locations.
- Manage duty of care responsibilities for staff, including where necessary, contribution to internal security, health and safety and human resources polices and standards, supported by the HR manager.
- Ensure the identification and promotion of best practice, encouraging and leading learning and skill development among Equidem India’s staff.
- Manage risk assessments and oversees the implementation of security procedures for Equidem India’s staff.
- Promote an organizational culture of integration and collaboration across Equidem’s India team and manage the effective integration of relevant staff across Equidem offices.
- Set, monitor, manage and report on financial budgets and expenditures for the work undertaken by Equidem’s India team.
- Carry out any other duties as required.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of human rights and labour rights.
- Substantial experience of working in South Asia and the Arab Gulf for seven years or more.
- Experience managing a diverse team of individuals within a range of skill levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge and direct experience of the human rights and political context in South Asia and the Arab Gulf and an expert understanding of the international human rights legal framework, and relevant regional and national legal frameworks;
- In-depth experience of human rights research: conducting research using a range of appropriate and inclusive methodologies, analyzing data and presenting findings in a clear and precise manner.
- In-depth knowledge and experience working on key human rights issues related to migration, labour, humanitarian and post-conflict settings including forced labour, human trafficking and modern slavery.
- Knowledge and experience of field security and data privacy issues and the ability to manage them appropriately.
- Ability to represent Equidem in challenging and high-profile environments.
- Ability to develop strategies and plans and review them and adapt them as required, exercising and promoting creative thinking.
Location: Flexible, ideally south of India.
Reports to: South Asia Director.
Manages: A team of six people in South Asia and the Middle East.
Interested applicants should submit their application by email to [email protected] no later than May 12, 2018.
- covering letter explaining their competencies against the required skills and experiences, and their interest in the role and working with Equidem
- Full name, address and contact details
- Two professional references